Cannot start Prefect Server

Hey Prefect Folks!

Using Prefect 1.2, I wanted to use the server on a VM (Fedora 35) to deploy my flows. It all runs through relatively smoothly, but then I get the following errors:

Pulling postgres ... done
Pulling hasura   ... done
Pulling graphql  ... done
Pulling apollo   ... done
Pulling towel    ... done
Pulling ui       ... done
Creating tmp_postgres_1 ... 
Creating tmp_postgres_1 ... error

ERROR: for tmp_postgres_1  Cannot start service postgres: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint tmp_postgres_1 (***): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 127.0.0.1:5432: bind: address already in use

ERROR: for postgres  Cannot start service postgres: driver failed programming external connectivity on endpoint tmp_postgres_1 (***): Error starting userland proxy: listen tcp4 127.0.0.1:5432: bind: address already in use

I have a local Postgres instance that has to be there and must not be killed. What would be my options here to have the server running? I considered port forwarding, but I am not sure how to do that.

Any help is appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

looks like an issue with your DB drivers in the container - perhaps try a more recent Postgres version?

are you just getting started with Prefect? If so, it’s better to start with Prefect 2.0, which is also much easier to set up and use:
https://discourse.prefect.io/t/should-i-start-with-prefect-2-0-orion-skipping-prefect-1-0/544

You are most likely right. But naturally I prefer clean solutions than tinkering with lower-level orchestration stuff. So I will give Prefect Orion another shot :slightly_smiling_face: I switched back to Prefect 1.2, because of my issues here:

However, Prefect 2 is indeed easier to set up and use (not least because of SQLite as the default), so I will rewrite my flows to accomodate the issues I mentioned in the topic above.

1 Like

Sounds great! FWIW, I did create a GitHub issue for the DB connection issue you mentioned, so this should be tackled in a near future