How to contribute to Prefect Collections?

View in #prefect-community on Slack

Chu_Lục_Ninh @Chu_Lục_Ninh: Hi @Kevin_Kho, Orion is getting more attractive now. But the collection is only maintained by prefect, can I contribute to Orion task collection? Or any guide to create my own task collection and share that to other developers?

Kevin_Kho @Kevin_Kho: I will tell the people behind collections to respond to you tom. I don’t know the guidelines yet myself since they’re a bit new

@Anna_Geller: @Chu_Lục_Ninh you can absolutely contribute your own custom collections, and in fact, we totally encourage that! :clap:

You can find a guide on how to get started with contributing collections here, and here is a guide on how to contribute to Prefect 2.0 in general.

Here is a copy:
Anyone can create and share a Prefect Collection and we encourage anyone interested in creating a collection to do so!

Generating a project
To help you get started with your collection, we’ve created a template that gives you the tools you need to create and publish your collection.

To generate a collection from the template, run the following:

# 1. Install cookiecutter
pip install cookiecutter

# 2. Generate a Prefect Collection project
cookiecutter <https://github.com/PrefectHQ/prefect-collection-template>

After your project has been generated, refer to the MAINTAINER.md in the generated project for information about developing your collection.

Listing in the Collections Catalog
To list your collection in the Prefect Collections Catalog, submit a PR to the Prefect repository adding a file to the docs/collections/catalog directory with details about your collection. Please use TEMPLATE.yaml in that folder as guide.

2 Likes