FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: prefect.exceptions.ScriptError: Script a

<post_deployment.py>
from prefect.deployments import Deployment
from src.flows import test_flow

my_deployment = Deployment.build_from_flow(
        flow=test_flow,
        name="Test",
        work_queue_name=Test,
        description="Important:\n"
    )
my_deployment.apply()    

I am on windows machine. When I run python post_deployment.py , it posts the deployment at server, I am using local postgres as server database. So far so good. As soon as I run the flow from UI, I get following error.

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\USER\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmp8dz374otprefect\\containers\\prefect-agent\\src\\flows\\test_flow.py'
prefect.exceptions.ScriptError: Script at 'containers\\prefect-agent\\src\\flows\\vessel_notification.py'
My src\ and post.deployment.py folder are in same directory.

Project_dir
  | 
  ----src/
            -----flow
                     ------testflow.py
    ----post_deployment.py

when I debug I see following value under my deployment

my_deployment.entrypoint = src/flow/testflow.py
my_deployment.path = path/of/project_dir

Not sure why it is trying to locate the file C:\\Users\\USER\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\tmp8dz374otprefect instead of getting from path variable set in deployment
Please help!!

Have you set up an environment variable for Prefect Home? I’ve encountered errors in the past (self-hosted on Windows) revolving around entry points until I dictated the path where Prefect considers its home (and stores the DB).

@jbmclry Thanks for the reply. I figured out the issue. We have all our deployment in post_deployment.py file, It appears Prefect expect to post these deployment from same directory where this file is located…so it can build correct path and entrypoint. I have changed my code to generate always path and entrypoint with respect to post_deployment.py where all flows have been imported as module and flow function. This way I do not need to ensure that I am in same directory where post_deployment.py file is there and I can run command python /some/path/post_deployment.py instead doing cd to post_deployment.py directory .

# post_deployment.py
from src.flows import flow_module
from pathlib import Path

def get_path_and_entrypoint(module, function):
     path = str(Path(__file__).parent.resolve())
    entrypoint = "{}:{}".format(
        str(Path(module.__file__).absolute().relative_to(path)), function.fn.__name__
    )
    return {"path": path, "entrypoint": entrypoint}

print(get_path_and_entrypoint(flow_module, flow_module.flow_function))

# Output
# {"path": "<path/to/post_deployment.py>", "entrypoint": "src/flows/flow_module:flow_function_name"}

1 Like

@maheshmmmec Thanks for sharing your solution.