What do loop interval log warnings mean?

I’m seeing the below when tinkering with a fresh dev setup, installed from pip just now. It seems to always be 25-31 seconds, which makes me think some code is doing a sleep and not that my box is that overloaded. My web UI view shows no entries on the default page until these log messages pop up. My box is otherwise not having issues, htop shows plenty of free cores and memory and nothing else fails to be interactive.

* % RecentDeploymentsScheduler took 30.828482 seconds to run, which is longer than its loop interval of 5 seconds.
MarkLateRuns took 30.873706 seconds to run, which is longer than its loop interval of 5.0 seconds.
FlowRunNotifications took 29.957938 seconds to run, which is longer than its loop interval of 4 seconds.
RecentDeploymentsScheduler took 31.069303 seconds to run, which is longer than its loop interval of 5 seconds.

Edit:

This turned out to be because of the default location of the orion sqlite db being ~, which is on an NFS for me. I switched it to postgres and am seeing far better performance and way fewer 30k line tracebacks when trying to submit a bunch of tasks. The default thinigs to homedir scheme was so slow that I was getting these errors when submitting tasks to a DaskTaskRunner.

2022-10-09 08:50:30,800 - distributed.worker - ERROR - Timed out during handshake while connecting to tcp://127.0.0.1:41479 after 30 s                                                       
Traceback (most recent call last):                                                                                                                                                           
  File "/root//.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distributed/comm/core.py", line 328, in connect                                                            
    handshake = await asyncio.wait_for(comm.read(), time_left())                                                                                                                             
  File "/root//.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/asyncio/tasks.py", line 501, in wait_for                                                                                 
    raise exceptions.TimeoutError()                                                                                                                                                          
asyncio.exceptions.TimeoutError                                                                                                                                                              

OSError: Timed out during handshake while connecting to tcp://127.0.0.1:41479 after 30 s                                                                                                     
2022-10-09 08:50:30,802 - tornado.application - ERROR - Exception in callback functools.partial(<bound method IOLoop._discard_future_result of <tornado.platform.asyncio.AsyncIOLoop object a
t 0x7f304b806c40>>, <Task finished name='Task-16' coro=<Worker.heartbeat() done, defined at /root//.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/distributed/worker.py:1
185> exception=OSError('Timed out during handshake while connecting to tcp://127.0.0.1:41479 after 30 s')>)                                                                                  

Edit 2

I give up. I’m trying to run about a thousand tasks with the default executor since I earlier gave up on getting Dask to work. They were always failing at about 10 tasks started, despite moving PREFECT_HOME to a local disk. I reordered the sqlite statement which increases the timeout to after the switch to WAL, that got me to about 30 tasks started before crashing. When connecting to postgres for orion I can get about 100 tasks submitted before crashing, I also observe my own single sqlalchemy connection to postgres starts to have issues just before prefect crashes.

10:39:18.023 | ESC[1;31mERRORESC[1;0m | Flow run 'simple-hummingbird' - Crash detected! Execution was interrupted by an unexpected exception.

so instead I am skipping prefect logging of tasks, using one big flow that uses GNU parallel to start the 1000 subprocesses to do the work (but these cannot be annotated as tasks or I crash). My actual application data logs just fine to postgres this way, and it should be many orders of magnitude more traffic than Prefect should be responsible for. I should also note that overnight I ran this program where this task was instead a flow, and this ran just fine as far as I can tell, so maybe the code which submits flows is more resilient than the code which submits tasks. Or maybe it’s because they were all separate processes and now I’m trying to do it all in one process. But too many hours sank now to continue. Would take some serious performance testing / battle-hardening before I try this again.

# How I replaced the calling myfun.submit(arg1, arg2), write a big file with all args then
check_call(shlex.split("parallel --colsep ' ' -a workspec.txt python main.py used-to-be-a-task-that-i-could-call-from-python-but-its-unreliable {1} {2}"))

Example traceback:

10:39:11.037 | ESC[1;31mERRORESC[1;0m | prefect.orion - Encountered exception in request:
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/middleware/errors.py", line 162, in __call__
    await self.app(scope, receive, _send)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/middleware/exceptions.py", line 75, in __call__
    raise exc
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/middleware/exceptions.py", line 64, in __call__
    await self.app(scope, receive, sender)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/middleware/asyncexitstack.py", line 21, in __call__
    raise e
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/middleware/asyncexitstack.py", line 18, in __call__
    await self.app(scope, receive, send)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/routing.py", line 680, in __call__
    await route.handle(scope, receive, send)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/routing.py", line 275, in handle
    await self.app(scope, receive, send)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/routing.py", line 65, in app
    response = await func(request)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/utilities/server.py", line 101, in handle_response_scoped_depends
    response = await default_handler(request)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/routing.py", line 231, in app
    raw_response = await run_endpoint_function(
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/routing.py", line 160, in run_endpoint_function
    return await dependant.call(**values)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/api/task_runs.py", line 198, in set_task_run_state
    orchestration_result = await models.task_runs.set_task_run_state(
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/models/task_runs.py", line 285, in set_task_run_state
    run = await models.task_runs.read_task_run(session=session, task_run_id=task_run_id)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/database/dependencies.py", line 117, in async_wrapper
    return await fn(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/models/task_runs.py", line 103, in read_task_run
    model = await session.get(db.TaskRun, task_run_id)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/ext/asyncio/session.py", line 299, in get
    return await greenlet_spawn(
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/_concurrency_py3k.py", line 126, in greenlet_spawn
    result = context.throw(*sys.exc_info())
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 2805, in get
    return self._get_impl(
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 2912, in _get_impl
    return db_load_fn(
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/loading.py", line 530, in load_on_pk_identity
    session.execute(
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 1711, in execute
    conn = self._connection_for_bind(bind)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 1552, in _connection_for_bind
    return self._transaction._connection_for_bind(
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 747, in _connection_for_bind
    conn = bind.connect()
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 406, in connect
    return super(Engine, self).connect()
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3315, in connect
    return self._connection_cls(self, close_with_result=close_with_result)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 96, in __init__
    else engine.raw_connection()
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3394, in raw_connection
    return self._wrap_pool_connect(self.pool.connect, _connection)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3361, in _wrap_pool_connect
    return fn()
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 320, in connect
    return _ConnectionFairy._checkout(self)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 884, in _checkout
    fairy = _ConnectionRecord.checkout(pool)
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 486, in checkout
    rec = pool._do_get()
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/impl.py", line 134, in _do_get
    raise exc.TimeoutError(
sqlalchemy.exc.TimeoutError: QueuePool limit of size 5 overflow 10 reached, connection timed out, timeout 30.00 (Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/3o7r)
10:39:18.023 | ESC[1;31mERRORESC[1;0m | Flow run 'simple-hummingbird' - Crash detected! Execution was interrupted by an unexpected exception.

or with sqlite (there are many more logs but they seem to be the futures not being properly closed before the garbage collector comes for them at process exit. which is also not a good sign.)

09:19:19.514 | ESC[1;31mERRORESC[1;0m | prefect.orion - Encountered exception in request:
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1900, in _execute_context
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 736, in do_execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 100, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 228, in _handle_exception
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 82, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/_concurrency_py3k.py", line 68, in await_only
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/_concurrency_py3k.py", line 121, in greenlet_spawn
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/cursor.py", line 37, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/cursor.py", line 31, in _execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 129, in _execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 102, in run
sqlite3.OperationalError: unable to open database file

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/middleware/errors.py", line 162, in __call__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/middleware/exceptions.py", line 75, in __call__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/middleware/exceptions.py", line 64, in __call__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/middleware/asyncexitstack.py", line 21, in __call__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/middleware/asyncexitstack.py", line 18, in __call__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/routing.py", line 680, in __call__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/routing.py", line 275, in handle
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/starlette/routing.py", line 65, in app
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/utilities/server.py", line 101, in handle_response_scoped_depends
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/routing.py", line 231, in app
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/fastapi/routing.py", line 160, in run_endpoint_function
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/api/task_runs.py", line 49, in create_task_run
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/database/dependencies.py", line 117, in async_wrapper
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/models/task_runs.py", line 61, in create_task_run
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/ext/asyncio/session.py", line 215, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/_concurrency_py3k.py", line 126, in greenlet_spawn
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 1711, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 1552, in _connection_for_bind
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 747, in _connection_for_bind
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 406, in connect
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 3315, in connect
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 120, in __init__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/event/attr.py", line 334, in __call__
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/database/configurations.py", line 262, in setup_sqlite
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/future/engine.py", line 280, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1705, in _execute_20
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/elements.py", line 333, in _execute_on_connection
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1572, in _execute_clauseelement
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1943, in _execute_context
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2124, in _handle_dbapi_exception
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/compat.py", line 208, in raise_
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1900, in _execute_context
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 736, in do_execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 100, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 228, in _handle_exception
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 82, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/_concurrency_py3k.py", line 68, in await_only
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/_concurrency_py3k.py", line 121, in greenlet_spawn
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/cursor.py", line 37, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/cursor.py", line 31, in _execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 129, in _execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 102, in run
sqlalchemy.exc.OperationalError: (sqlite3.OperationalError) unable to open database file
[SQL: PRAGMA journal_mode = WAL;]
(Background on this error at: https://sqlalche.me/e/14/e3q8)
09:19:19.582 | ESC[1;31mERRORESC[1;0m | sqlalchemy.pool.impl.NullPool - Exception closing connection <AdaptedConnection <Connection(Thread-82, started daemon 140182263150336)>>
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/database/interface.py", line 102, in session_context
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/api/task_runs.py", line 49, in create_task_run
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/prefect/orion/models/task_runs.py", line 61, in create_task_run
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/ext/asyncio/session.py", line 215, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/orm/session.py", line 1712, in execute
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1705, in _execute_20
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/sql/elements.py", line 333, in _execute_on_connection
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1572, in _execute_clauseelement
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 1943, in _execute_context
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 2138, in _handle_dbapi_exception
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/base.py", line 744, in invalidate
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 1087, in invalidate
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 597, in invalidate
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 660, in __close
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 255, in _close_connection
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 689, in do_terminate
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 692, in do_close
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 214, in close
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 171, in close
asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 214, in close
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 171, in close
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiosqlite/core.py", line 67, in _conn
ValueError: no active connection

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/pool/base.py", line 255, in _close_connection
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 689, in do_terminate
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/engine/default.py", line 692, in do_close
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 216, in close
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/dialects/sqlite/aiosqlite.py", line 223, in _handle_exception
  File "/root/.conda/envs/plotting-v2/lib/python3.8/site-packages/sqlalchemy/util/compat.py", line 208, in raise_
sqlite3.OperationalError: no active connection
09:19:19.681 | ESC[1;31mERRORESC[1;0m | sqlalchemy.pool.impl.NullPool - Exception closing connection <AdaptedConnection <Connection(Thread-337, started daemon 140163489453824)>>

This is all with prefect 2.5.0 from pip.

Wait, let’s slow down a bit – could you start with:

1. What problem are you trying to solve?
  2. What flow are you currently running - could you share a minimal reproducible example?

NFS doesn’t work with sqlite – this is expected.

It’s easiest to get started with Prefect Cloud https://app.prefect.cloud/ rather than self-hosting – Cloud has an always-free tier, no credit card required. You can always decide to self-host once you get PoC working.

Also, it’s easier to start with ConcurrentTaskRunner for concurrent execution, Dask is more involved. Once that’s working, could you share where/how do you run Dask? is it just an on-demand local cluster?

I am seeing these loop internal errors as well. Is there a config that I can change to extend the loop from the default of 4 second? When I look in Prefect Server settings I don’t see any env var that is set to 4.

FlowRunNotifications took 4.28745 seconds to run, which is longer than its loop interval of 4 seconds.