Profile and order of Python Imports not being recognized when running Deployments

Hi all, I am having some trouble with warnings when I run deployments. I have created an MRE based on the Prefect Deployments tutorial, which will help explain this.

I created the deployment using Python. The deployments actually run as expected and the flow produces the expected output, but the warnings are always present. The warnings are related to

• an unrecognized Prefect profile (I did set a custom profile and Prefect does recognize it)
  • the order of Python imports in deployment.py ('prefect.engine' found in sys.modules after import of package 'prefect' - more details below)

I am using a custom Prefect profile file myprofiles.toml. All my deployment runs are local. Details and MRE code below.

Problem / Error (Warning)

The following are the two warnings that appear when I run any deployment

WARNING: Active profile 'local' set by environment variable not found. The default profile will be used instead. 
/usr/lib/python3.10/runpy.py:126: RuntimeWarning: 'prefect.engine' found in sys.modules after import of package 'prefect', but prior to execution of 'prefect.engine'; this may result in unpredictable behaviour
  warn(RuntimeWarning(msg))

Steps to Reproduce with MRE

Code for MRE

My deployment.py file contents are

# deployment.py
from log_flow import log_flow
from prefect.deployments import Deployment

deployment = Deployment.build_from_flow(
    flow=log_flow,
    name="log-simple",
    parameters={"url": "https://catfact.ninja/fact"},
    infra_overrides={
        "env": {
            "PREFECT_LOGGING_LEVEL": "DEBUG",
            "PREFECT_PROFILES_PATH": "myprofiles.toml",
            "PREFECT_PROFILE": "local",
        }
    },
    work_queue_name="demo",
)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    deployment.apply()

and the flow file contents are

# log_flow.py
import requests
from prefect import flow, task

@task
def call_api(url):
    response = requests.get(url)
    print(response.status_code)
    return response.json()

@task
def parse_fact(response):
    fact = response["fact"]
    print(fact)
    return fact

@flow
def log_flow(url):
    fact_json = call_api(url)
    fact_text = parse_fact(fact_json)
    return fact_text

if __name__ == "__main__":
    log_flow("https://catfact.ninja/fact")

and the custom Prefect profiles file is also located in the working directory. It contains

active = "local"

[profiles.local]
PREFECT_API_URL = "http://127.0.0.1:4200/api"

Contents of Working directory

The contents of the working dir are

$ ls
deployment.py  log_flow.py  myprofiles.toml

There is also a blank .prefectignore file in the working directory.

Versions

Python==3.10.6
prefect==2.7.8
requests==2.28.1

Workflow for running MRE

I started by specifying to use the 'local' profile

export PREFECT_PROFILES_PATH="myprofiles.toml"
export PREFECT_PROFILE="local"
prefect profile use local

and verified that this was selected

prefect profile use local

This produces the expected output

β ™ Connecting...
Connected to Prefect Orion using profile 'local'

When I list profiles

prefect profile ls

'local' is shown as active, which is also the expected output

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
┃ Available Profiles: ┃
┑━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┩
β”‚             default β”‚
β”‚             * local β”‚
β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
* active profile

I then followed the docs to create the deployment with Python by runing

python deployment.py

Then (in a separate terminal) start the agent and create a work-queue

prefect agent start -q demo

Back in the deployments terminal, run the deployment

prefect deployment run log-flow/log-sample

After this

• the two warnings from above are printed to the screen
  • the deployment runs and the flow produces the expected output

The full output is

Starting v2.7.8 agent connected to http://127.0.0.1:4200/api...

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ _____     _   ___ ___ _  _ _____
    | _ \ _ \ __| __| __/ __|_   _|   /_\ / __| __| \| |_   _|
    |  _/   / _|| _|| _| (__  | |    / _ \ (_ | _|| .` | | |
    |_| |_|_\___|_| |___\___| |_|   /_/ \_\___|___|_|\_| |_|

Agent started! Looking for work from queue(s): demo...
    17:41:31.726 | INFO    | prefect.agent - Submitting flow run 'ee7bde5a-3fb2-4fce-b8e6-7a7169231ead'
    17:41:31.786 | INFO    | prefect.infrastructure.process - Opening process 'cheerful-poodle'...
    17:41:31.802 | INFO    | prefect.agent - Completed submission of flow run 'ee7bde5a-3fb2-4fce-b8e6-7a7169231ead'
    WARNING: Active profile 'local' set by environment variable not found. The default profile will be used instead. 
    /usr/lib/python3.10/runpy.py:126: RuntimeWarning: 'prefect.engine' found in sys.modules after import of package 'prefect', but prior to execution of 'prefect.engine'; this may result in unpredictable behaviour
    17:41:33.070 | DEBUG   | prefect.client - Connecting to API at http://127.0.0.1:4200/api/
    17:41:33.088 | INFO    | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Downloading flow code from storage at '/home/<...>/prefect-tutorial'
    17:41:33.089 | DEBUG   | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Importing flow code from 'log_flow.py:log_flow'
    17:41:33.107 | DEBUG   | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Starting 'ConcurrentTaskRunner'; submitted tasks will be run concurrently...
    17:41:33.108 | DEBUG   | prefect.task_runner.concurrent - Starting task runner...
    17:41:33.189 | DEBUG   | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Executing flow 'log-flow' for flow run 'cheerful-poodle'...
    17:41:33.190 | DEBUG   | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Beginning execution...
    17:41:33.213 | INFO    | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Created task run 'call_api-8b7f2ba2-0' for task 'call_api'
    17:41:33.213 | INFO    | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Executing 'call_api-8b7f2ba2-0' immediately...
    17:41:33.246 | DEBUG   | Task run 'call_api-8b7f2ba2-0' - Beginning execution...
    17:41:33.464 | INFO    | Task run 'call_api-8b7f2ba2-0' - Finished in state Completed()
    17:41:33.485 | INFO    | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Created task run 'parse_fact-7d0f7c7e-0' for task 'parse_fact'
    17:41:33.486 | INFO    | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Executing 'parse_fact-7d0f7c7e-0' immediately...
    17:41:33.533 | DEBUG   | Task run 'parse_fact-7d0f7c7e-0' - Beginning execution...
    17:41:33.556 | INFO    | Task run 'parse_fact-7d0f7c7e-0' - Finished in state Completed()
    17:41:33.579 | DEBUG   | prefect.task_runner.concurrent - Shutting down task runner...
    17:41:33.580 | INFO    | Flow run 'cheerful-poodle' - Finished in state Completed()
    17:41:33.625 | DEBUG   | prefect.client - Connecting to API at http://127.0.0.1:4200/api/
    Many cats cannot properly digest cow's milk. Milk and milk products give them diarrhea.
    17:41:33.809 | INFO    | prefect.infrastructure.process - Process 'cheerful-poodle' exited cleanly.

Questions

1. It looks like the Prefect profile that I set is not being recognized

As I showed above, I have set the profile to 'local' and defined this profile in the .toml file. prefect profile ls is correctly picking up this 'local' profile. Is there some additional configuration I need for the 'local' profile to be correctly picked up by the deployment? How can I fix the issue that is causing this warning?

2. The RuntimeWarning error message is suggesting the order of Python imports in the deployment.py file should be reversed

I have tried reversing the order. Change

# deployment.py

to

# deployment.py

but there is no difference in the output - the RuntimeWarning message still appears. The order in my initial deployment.py file was the same as in the docs example for Deployment. I am concerned about this may result in unpredictable behaviour (for more complicated flow files). Is this an expected warning, or is there a way to fix this issue about the order of the imports?

Many thanks in advance!

here you use"sample" and in the other part you use β€œsimple”

perhaps try the default location which is ~/.prefect/profiles.toml?

you can ignore this warning, we have an issue for it

1 Like

Thanks @anna_geller .

Apologies. That was my error. The name should be same in both places. Thanks for catching it.

1 Like

Thanks @anna_geller for all your feedback here!

Yes, I could try to use ~/.prefect/profiles.toml. The docs indicate that a custom file path is easy to change. So, I was trying to customize that path.

I am in fact having no problems with the profiles filepath when I run the flow directly (using python3 log_flow.py). The custom .toml file is correctly picked up and I don’t get that warning message. I am only getting that warning when I run a deployment with a custom profile configuration flie.

Is a custom profile .toml file path not supported when running Deployments?

it is, the profile is just pointing to your API URL

@anna_geller, many thanks for your guidance with this. This helped me a lot! I took your suggestion to use the ~/.prefect/profiles.toml file and this was much easier to work with.

The warning about the missing profile from my original question

WARNING: Active profile 'local' set by environment variable not found.

has now gone away completely. Now, the deployment runs fine without this warning message. :star_struck:

Thanks again for your quick answers to my questions! This helped me a lot!

1 Like