Is there an official planned release date for Prefect 2.0 to come out of Beta status?

View in #prefect-community on Slack

@Alexander_van_Eck: Just out of curiosity, is there an official release date for prefect 2.0? :slightly_smiling_face: I’m aware of the public beta, but when is stable estimated to be released?

@Anna_Geller: Why are you asking? Is it a blocker for adoption in your team? We can’t provide any concrete date as of today
I’d encourage you to start using Prefect 2.0 and Cloud 2.0, or if you are an existing Prefect 1.0 user, then you may start migrating some workflows already today. Big bang migrations are hard, so it may be easier to start migrating some non-mission-critical workflows already. You may also check this page for more details

Prefect Community: Should I start with Prefect 2.0 (Orion), skipping Prefect 1.0?

@Alexander_van_Eck: We are heavily using prefect 1.0 and migrating will be a large-ish effort (new agents, re-writing flows, etc.). We’d prefer to do this when the API is mostly stable so we cut down on the amount of re-work required down the line.

@Anna_Geller: There shouldn’t be any breaking changes in the basic building blocks such as a task, flow or DeploymentSpec, so you may start migrating some workflows over. The “beta” is mostly to indicate that e.g. some internal implementations such as API routes may change but the UX of running and building flows is already stable enough to start migrating some workflows

@Alexander_van_Eck: That’s good to know! :slightly_smiling_face: thanks.

Am I correct in assuming that for us to migrate we would have to;

1. deploy new prefect UI
  2. deploy new prefect docker agents (we’re using docker runconfig today)
  3. re-write our flows to be prefect 2.0 compliant
  4. run our flows
    ?

@Anna_Geller: Do you consider Cloud 2.0 or do you want to self-host everything?

@Alexander_van_Eck: We are currently self-hosting :v: and will likely keep it that way due to sensitivity of the data we process.

@Anna_Geller: When it comes to sensitivity, Prefect uses a hybrid execution model - thus, it never sees your code or data. On top of that, Prefect is SOC-2 compliant, so if this is the only concern, you may still consider Cloud 2.0

@Alexander_van_Eck: Will keep that in mind :slightly_smiling_face: thank you
Is that migration path correct?

@Anna_Geller: regarding self-hosting, we have currently an example here of how you may self-host to Kubernetes which is super convenient

regarding the components:

• • SQLite or Postgres DB
  • • Orion server with various orchestration services (REST APIs)
  • • an agent - a single agent can deploy flows to various infrastructures, no need for multiple infrastructure-specific agents in 2.0

once you have all those components self-hosted somewhere, deploying your flows involves:

• • writing flows
  • • creating deployments e.g. via CLI to register those in your Orion backend
  • Running flows is always possible - in Prefect 2.0 you can run your flows anytime, anywhere, for any reason (scheduled, ad-hoc, event-driven)

@Alexander_van_Eck: Ok! :slightly_smiling_face: that helps a lot. Thank you